We all want our nails to stay pristine and in tip-top shape, which means we always make sure to clip them often, file down the edges, and apply nail hardeners. However, we also unknowingly do many things that can negatively impact our nails’ condition. Below are five common mistakes that can counteract all of the effort we put into making sure our nails stay fancy and fab. Don’t let any of these big no-no’s keep your nails from being at the top of their game!
1. Using Your Nails To Pry Open Jars or Peel Off Stickers: These actions can cause nails to break, chip, and tear. To open jars, use a rubber glove or cloth to grip the lid, rather than your nails. To peel off stickers, use a scraping tool.
2. Using a “Sawing” Action When Filing Your Nails: File each nail in one direction, as the “sawing” effect can weaken the nail bed.
3. Washing The Dishes Without Rubber Gloves: Having your bare hands in soapy water for long periods of time can cause your nails to weaken and break.
4. Not Maintaining A Healthy Diet: To keep your nails in tip-top shape, make sure your diet is well-balanced. Take in a lot of calcium, iron, protein, Vitamins A, B, C & D, and also eat an abundance of fish, chicken, eggs, cheese, milk, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. If necessary, take a multi-vitamin or a biotin supplement.
5. Not Drinking Enough Water: If your nails are not consistently hydrated, they can become weak and brittle. Make sure to drink at least 8 cups of water to day to keep your nails healthy and beautiful.
Make a conscious effort to avoid the above nail no-no’s! We want all lovely ladies to have beautiful nails that are always ready to steal the spotlight. Consider us your new best friend!
Katie Saxton, Nail Expert and President of Custom Nail Solutions